(1882 - 1964),
painter. Born on December 29, 1882 in Kalusz (county Stanislawow), the son of Jozef and Rozalia born Majchrowicz.
After completion of a village school in Kalusz he then attended a secondary school in Stanislawow and Drohobycz. In the years 1901 - 1909 he studied painting at the Academy of Art (ASP) in Krakow under the direction of Florian Cynk, Leon Wyczolkowski and Jan Stanislawski; in the academic year 1908/09 he enrolled in Jozef Pankiewicz's class. However he did not attend his class. Podgorski already distinguished himself during the first year of studies receiving an award and a silver medal for his drawings of heads and nudes. He also received a silver medal in 1903. In the years 1906 - 1908 he studied in Paris as a recipient of an Academy of Art scholarship; he travelled at that time to Brittany. Later he studied in Rome (1911) and broadened his education travelling to Zagreb, Budapest, Vienna and Berlin. In 1902 (according to a personal questionnaire) or in 1903 (according to a report of Emanuel Swieykowski) he made his debut in the Krakow Society of Friends of Fine Arts (TPSP). In 1904 at an exhibition in the TPSP he presented his painting under the title "Oblok" ("Cloud"), which was bought by a known art collector Feliks Jasienski (presently the painting belongs to the National Museum in Krakow). In Podgorski's early paintings there was evident the influence of J. Stanislawski.
In 1909 Podgorski was admitted to the Polish Artists Association "Sztuka" (Art) and became a member of its executive committee.He exhibited his paintings with the "Sztuka" until the 1930s.
In 1911 he participated in organizing the Union of Polish Artists (ZZAP) in Krakow. In the years 1911 - 1912 he was a teacher of landscape in the local School of Fine Arts for Girls. Podgorski had one-man shows in the Warsaw Association of Fine Arts (Zacheta) in 1907 and 1911, in Krakow's TPSP in 1910; he also exhibited his paintings in Vienna in 1908 and 1911, in Lwow in 1910 and in 1911 in Rome, Moscow and the Krakow's Salon Niezaleznych (Salon of Independent Artists); in 1912 in Poznan, in 1913 in Kiev and last of all in Saint Louis in 1904 and 1914. Podgorski's paintings from this period showed his lasting interest in landscapes painted in a realistic way though with clear reminiscence of impressionism and postimpressionism. In the years 1908 to 1914 reproductions of several of Podgorski's paintings ("Z Bretanii" - "From Brittany" ; "Uliczka w Zywcu" - "Street in Zywiec" ; "Snieg" - "Snow" ; "Portret chlopczyka" - "Portrait of a little boy") were published in the magazines "Swiat" (World), "Tygodnik Ilustrowany" (Illustrated Weekly) and "Nasz Kraj" (Our Country).
During World War I Podgorski created many fewer paintings, which undoubtedly resulted from the general situation but also from his family's situation (in 1915 his son Jakub was born). Podgorski revealed the full extent of his creativity and great artistic activity in the period between the two world wars. He participated in about 30 exhibitions in Poland and abroad. In 1921 he received Second Prize at the Winter Salon TZSP (Association "Zacheta"). In 1922 he had a one-man show there. The next one-man show Podgorski had was in the Art Gallery in Lodz (June 1924). In the years 1924 - 1925 he participated in the International Painting Exhibitions in Pittsburgh organized by the Carnegie Institute; Podgorski was appointed a member of the Fine Arts Department at this Institute. In 1926 he was appointed an artistic director of a newly built Center of Arts in Lwow. In June 1928 an exhibition of dozens of Podgorski's paintings opened in Krakow's Association of Friends of Fine Arts. This exhibition was later transferred to the Salon of Fine Arts Association in Poznan, and then to the City Hall in Kalisz and to the City Art Gallery in Lodz. In 1929 Podgorski won a Bronze Medal at the National Public Art Show in Poznan. In 1931 at the Winter Salon at TZSP he was awarded with a Silver Medal. In March of 1933 "The Group of Nine" (established in 1931 upon the initiative of Teodor Grott) had an exhibition with Podgorski's participation. As a member of the Association "Sztuka" (Art) Podgorski participated in most of its exhibitions in Krakow's Palace of Art in the period between the wars; among them the 100th exhibition on the occasion of the 40th Anniversary of "Sztuka" in 1937. In 1939 he had an exhibition in Zakopane and Poznan. Podgorski's paintings from this period had a character similar to that of the period before World War I. He painted landscapes (quite often mountains), gardens, flowers, clouds, waves of water, seasons of the year and times of the day, less often portraits, in principle being faithful to the Krakow school of landscape from the modernism period. The paintings were characterized by summary treatment of shapes and certain faintness of colors. In the years 1942 - 1948 Podgorski was in the Soviet Union. For Podgorski the consequence of World War II was the loss of all his possessions and that of 6 years of artistic output (about 50 paintings).
He returned to Poland in April 1948 and in August of that year he assumed the position of a director of the Public High School of Fine Arts in Wisnicz Nowy and performed these duties until his retirement in 1958.
In 1950 he became a member of the Union of Polish Artists and Designers, at first of the Warsaw Division and in 1958 of the Krakow Division. Podgorski's production after World War II, which includes paintings of landscapes and portraits and drawings, goes back to his pre-war manner.
Podgorski died on August 4, 1964 in Wisnicz Nowy. Towards the end of his life Podgorski was all alone (his wife and son died earlier). Danuta Kociolek - a resident of Wisnicz - took care of him. She inherited his personal belongings.
Podgorski's paintings are in the National Museum in Krakow ("Winter landscape", "Fall in Beskidy") and in the National Museum in Warsaw ("Landscape", "Early Spring", "Black Gasienicowy Lake", "Apple Tree" and "Theme from Siberia").